photo by Surely Sweet Photography

Changing Diapers: the Hip Mom's Guide to Modern Cloth Diapering

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Brotherly Love


When Riley was 16 months old, Ryan and I decided that he needed a little brother or sister to play with.  So I started on a roller coaster of emotions as we began trying to conceive.  Each month I took at least a couple pregnancy tests hoping that I would be pregnant.  But each month I was disappointed.  Mid-February, we decided to wait for a few more months since we knew Ryan was most likely about to start a new job, which offered great benefits.  I was a little sad that it would be a while longer before holding a new baby in my arms, but knew it was for the best. 

One day in mid-March while sitting in Braum's, enjoying a brownie hot fudge sundae with Riley, I felt an odd sensation.  I just knew I was pregnant.  I can't exactly explain exactly how I knew, but I did.  So I stopped at Walmart and picked up yet another pregnancy test.  It was positive!  As soon as we decided to wait is when I got pregnant!  When I was pregnant with Riley, I couldn't wait to see Ryan's face the first time he held his baby boy.  But this time, I couldn't wait to see Riley with his new baby brother or sister! 

We explained to Riley that there was a baby in my tummy, but I don't think he quite understood what that meant.  He knew my belly got big (he told me so!), and he liked hearing the heartbeat at the doctor, but I don't know how much he really understood.  He hugged and kissed my belly, and told the baby "night night".  I knew before Elijah was born that Riley would be a great big brother!!

I had more morning sickness this time, so much that I took vitamin B to help calm my stomach.  I also had severe hip pains off/on throughout the pregnancy.  Even though I gained 10 lbs less than I did with my first pregnancy, my belly was definitely bigger!  After disussing the options with my doctor, I decided to have a repeat c-section.  So late in the pregnancy we scheduled Elijah's birth date!  November 11, 2009 (11/11, which is Veteran's Day!). 

It was a very calm, relaxing experience (at least compared to my first c/s).  I wasn't very nervous about the surgery, but I was very anxious to meet our new little boy!  At 7:46 am, Elijah William Barnhart was born!  He weighed in at 8 lb 10.5 oz, and was 20 3/4" long!  I didn't see him at first (since there was a curtain in the way), but the doctor and nurses commented on how big he was!  Ryan went and took pictures, but it was still a few minutes before I could see him up close.  He was beautiful!  His face was all squishy and just so cute!

When Riley first saw Elijah, he didn't seem to sure what to think.  He loved on him and hugged him!  He gave him lots of kisses! 




Riley is still the best big brother!  Elijah loves to watch his big brother go crazy!  He has a special laugh reserved just for Riley.  I love watching them grow up together!  Riley sings to Elijah when he cries.  He brings him toys to play with and they laugh together.  Riley even entertains Elijah in the car! 

I always knew that someday I would love being a mommy, and that I would love my kids.  Now that I am a mommy, I love them so much more than I could ever have imagined!  They are the best gifts God has ever have given me!  Nothing can describe the joy my children bring me!  Even on my most stressed out day, it melts my heart to hear Riley say "I wuv you, Mommy!" and to see Elijah's precious smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment