photo by Surely Sweet Photography

Changing Diapers: the Hip Mom's Guide to Modern Cloth Diapering

Monday, March 21, 2011

Great Cloth Diaper Change 2011

It feels like so long since I've made a new written post!  Forgive me for my silence, it's been a bit hectic around here lately.

Why, you might ask, have I been so busy?  I am co-organizing my very first big event, the Great Cloth Diaper Change!  I have never organized an event like this before, so it is definitely a learning experience.  But it is a LOT of fun, and it will be well worth it in the end!  My co-host is Elise from Baby Rear Gear in Arlington. 

What is the Great Cloth Diaper Change (GCDC)?  It is an event to set the Guinness World Record(tm) for the most simultaneous cloth diaper changes around the world.  At this moment, there are 361 locations worldwide (and counting)!  That's at least 9,025 babies changed into a cloth diaper at one time!  We have 53 pre-registrants so far for our local event!

Think this seems a bit, well, silly?  Depends on how you look at it, I suppose.  Cloth Diapers have come a long way in the last 20 years.  They are no longer the Gerber prefolds and plastics pants.  While prefolds are still available, they are much more absorbant and higher quality.  Personally, I prefer other types of diapers, such as pockets, AIO's, and wahm AI2's (see here for more info on the different types of cloth diapers).

The whole point of the GCDC is not to set a world record.  Nope, that's cool and all, but the real reason is to raise awareness about modern cloth diapers.  There are so many wonderful reasons to use cloth diapers (environmental, economical, and health), yet they are still widely perceived as a thing of the past.  Up unitl a little over a year ago, I thought the same thing, and I distinctly remember saying "I will never use cloth diapers."  Ha!  Here I am now, a major cloth diaper advocate, member of the Real Diaper Association (and working on becoming a Circle Leader), working part time at a CD shop, and founder of the DFW Cloth Diaper Group.  The CD Group is now nearly 350 members, and growing every day!  I had no clue there were so many CDing families in this area, since I only knew a few prior to starting the group. 

We are still looking for small local businesses to support our event.  There are some costs involved, mostly for the location.  If you are interested in helping support our efforts in raising awareness for cloth diapers, please visit our website and fill out the contact form.  THANKS!!

If you are interested in participating in the GCDC, or just want to help out (we NEED volunteers!!), please visit our website http://www.dfwclothdiapergroup.com/.  We are super excited about this event!!  We must be crazy, because we are already talking about making this an annual Earth Day event!




No comments:

Post a Comment