photo by Surely Sweet Photography

Changing Diapers: the Hip Mom's Guide to Modern Cloth Diapering

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Changed.

Last week I had an appointment with the play therapist who will work with Riley.  The place is about 40 minutes from our house (without traffic), much further than I had wanted.  But when I have so many recommendations for one particular place, that is where I will go! 

On my way there, traffic came to a dead stop.  Behind me I heard sirens, so I pulled over as far as I could on the busy highway to let the emergency vehicles through.  I thought, uh oh.  It's been a very long time since I've driven in rush hour traffic on a busy highway.  I was quickly reminded just how impatient people are to get to wherever it is they are going. 

Everyone seemed to think that this accident ahead was just something that will delay their trip home, to dinner, a date, a meeting, wherever they need to be.  So self absorbed that they forget that up ahead, someone's life just changed.  Or possibly ended, if the accident was really bad.  They don't think about the people invloved in the accident, or those going to help them.  And it's more than just them.  It's also the families of the ones involved.  What about their kids?  Spouse?  Parents?  It effects them, too.

Maybe it was the fact that I was on my way to talk about my son's PTSD, which was a result of our accident.  Or maybe it was the fact that I was listening to Casting Crown's.  Either way, I actually teared up thinking about how the lives of those ahead were just changed. 

In the last 15.5 weeks since that night, our lives have been different.  Yes, we are doing fine and are very fortunate that we are still here to tell the tale.  But our lives are different.  My parents lives are different, as my mom is still staying with us to help me while Ryan is at work.  My kids' lives are different.  The life of the girl who hit us is different, and so is her family's.  For better or worse, we are all changed because of one moment in time. 

I've been thinking a lot recently about those emergency workers who helped us.  The police, the firefighters and paramedics.  The good samaritans who stopped to help and call 911.  The emergency workers were just doing their job.  I don't remember a single name or face (I was slightly distracted by the worst pain I have ever felt).  But I do remember how they calmed me down (I was in "fight or flight mode", as one paramedic put it).  One paramedic held my hand as the others worked on stablizing my foot (it had no pulse, my heel bone and achilles tendon were completely exposed).  I had no clue what they were doing, but the simple act of holding my hand was comforting.  Ryan was already in another ambulance on his way to the hospital, so he couldn't be there next to me. 

Every time I see any emergency workers in The Colony, I wonder if they worked the accident.  On Monday I took myself and the boys to lunch at Chick Fil A.  A group of firefighters/paramedics walked in to order as we were leaving.  On a whim, I turned around and asked the closest one to me if he worked a motorcycle accident a few months ago.  He did.  I was finally able to put a face to one of the strangers who helped us, and tell him thank you

My boys playing in
the fire truck!
Last night was National Night Out, which means block party time!  Every year, a police car and fire truck stop by to visit.  I asked the officers if they worked the accident, which they did not.  But one of the sergeants knew about the accident, and that it was a high school girl who hit us.  But 2 of the firefighters/paramedics did.  They remembered the accident in detail, and were very happy to see we are doing well!  Again, I was able to thank them for their help, and everything they do.  It was one of these 2 that told me I was in "fight or flight mode". 

A long time ago, someone suggested instead of cursing or complaining when you hear sirens, say a prayer for whoever they are going to help, and also for the emergency workers.  That has always stuck with me.  I still do it to this day.  The tricky part is to also say a prayer of thanks when you get a speeding ticket.  Maybe that traffic stop prevented an accident that could change your life forever, and the life of someone you'll never meet. 

By the way, that accident that happened last week on my way to the play therapist was minor.  A lot of damage to the cars, but everyone appeared to be okay.  I breathed a big sigh of relief for them.


What is one moment in your life, big or small, that has changed you?


1 comment:

  1. I think there are a lot of moments in my life that changed me. It was one of those hard knock lives but I wouldn't be the same person without it. I think the points you brought up are great.. it's amazing how our point of view changes when we experience something like you did.

    -Brandi

    --------
    We have awarded you the Versatile Blogger award! Please stop by our blog to claim your award and share the fun :)

    Have a great day!
    Brandi, Amanda and Leslie - The Three Fabulous Mommies
    http://3fabulousmommies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete