photo by Surely Sweet Photography

Changing Diapers: the Hip Mom's Guide to Modern Cloth Diapering

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Freedom!

I just got home from an appointment with my orthopedic surgeon.  This was a big appointment for me, with several questions about my recovery.

First of all, it's all looking great!  My plastic surgeon cleared me two weeks ago to lose the boot I've been wearing for so long, but I had to wait for this appointment to see what the ortho said.  The 2 screws in my left ankle are still there and in place.  Problem is, with my already skinny ankles and the muscle atrophy, my ankle is down to nothing!  I can touch my thumb and middle finger together when I wrap them around it.  So because of this, and also the range of motion I'm slowly gaining, I have been able to feel the 2 screws, on either side of my ankle (inside and out).

He told me before that it was a 50/50 chance of having the screws removed.  If they broke, then they could stay.  But they are still intact.  And since my ankle has no muscle, fat, or tissue to cushion the screws (which is why I can feel them), he is recommending they come out.  So in about 4 weeks I will go in for Surgery #5 to have them removed.  It will be a quick day surgery, with a short recovery.  He also thinks I will have better range of motion in my ankle after removing the screws.

This is all great news!  Yes, it means another surgery, but it also means that I am healing and my body is doing what it should. 

The surgery will fall around the week of August 22-26, which falls right before a very busy September. There's Labor Day, our 5 year wedding anniversary trip to San Antonio, and a trip to California to visit my brother, sister-in-law, and my niece (who I have not been able to meet yet).  But the recovery time for this surgery will be quick, so he doesn't think it will hinder any vacation plans.

The biggest and most exciting news of the day is that I can stop wearing my boot!!!!  This is the best news of my recovery, especially here in Texas!  The boot is lined with "fur" (I think it's fleece).  It is the hottest boot imaginable.  Everyone tells me it looks like an Ugg.  And it's been 100+ degrees here for several weeks.  Yesterday my car told me it hit 110*.  Imagine wearing your Ugg's in that weather!  Not fun. 

He also told me to start weaning off of the crutches.  I have tried using just one crutch (with the boot on), and even no crutches.  It wasn't pleasant.  But when I got home today (wearing my regular shoes), I was actually able to walk around (well, limp around) and carry my own plate of food.  It is such a relief to know that I am now able to get myself something to eat or drink without having to rely on someone else to carry it for me.  I am not ready to go crutch-less out of the house just yet, but I'm on my way!

I don't think I'll be able to wear my sexy heels  on our anniversary trip, but that's okay.  I was told 4-6 weeks after the surgery to be careful (no dancing or twisting of the ankle), so that will be a little too soon to wear 4" heels.  I'll just have to go find some sexy flats!

Riley is doing well, too.  I had an appointment a couple weeks ago to get him started with play therapy.  Now I'm just waiting to hear back from the counselor to get him scheduled.  He's had a busy few weeks!  He's attending the Summer Fun! camps at our church, as well as Vacation Bible School.  He has had a blast, and will continue to have fun as the summer goes on!  While he seems to be doing a little better, I still want to get him in the play therapy to make sure he is able to work through his emotions after the accident.  He still holds a "grudge" against motorcycles, and seems to worry more than he should.  The anger issues are still there, but don't seem to be as bad.

Almost forgot to mention that I've been driving for the last few weeks.  Which means I've been off the pain meds for a few weeks!  Over the counter meds have been able to manage my pain (mostly). 

So that's it for now.  I'm staying busy with church, kids, the DFW Cloth Diaper Group, the DFW Cloth Diaper Project, physical therapy,  and other activities that are part of life!

No comments:

Post a Comment