photo by Surely Sweet Photography

Changing Diapers: the Hip Mom's Guide to Modern Cloth Diapering

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Keep your eyes open!!

Some of you may know, but for those who don't, I thought I'd share.

Ryan and I had a great date night Saturday 4/16.  On our way home, just a few minutes away, we were in a motorcycle accident.  There were 2 left turn lanes, we were in the one that could either go left or straight.  There was a car (behind us, that we couldn't see) in the left turn only lane.  When we were turning left, that car attempted to go straight, and t-boned us.  Ryan and I were both flown from the motorcycle.  My leg was crushed bewteern the car's bumber and our bike.  And apparently, I ended up on the car's hood and smashed my head on her windshield.

I could not get up, but Ryan was able to get up and walk.  He didn't realize it at the time, but he had a large gash on his left knee that was bleeding pretty good.  The fire department and ambulance came, and of course the police.  The 16 year old driver who hit us did stop (and yes, she is insured).

At the emergency room, they took me to get several CT scans, on my head, neck, back. both legs (esp my left), and my abdomen.  Miraculously, my left ankle was not shattered, like everyone suspected.  That was (and is) my source of pain.  My head, back, and abdomen came back clear, as well as my right leg (which is just bruised).

My pelvic bone is cracked, however, it is a clean break and there's not much they can do (other than make sure I take it very easy and don't knock it out of place).  There is also a clean break in my fibula (the smaller bone in my lower leg, not a weight bearing bone).

They gave Ryan both internal and external stitches to his gash.  He also has a huge bruise, which covers the entire back side of his left thigh.  He was released from the ER early Sunday morning, never admitted to the hospital.

The worst injury was to my left heel/foot/ankle.  Early Sunday morning, I was taken to surgery where they cleaned the wound on my heel (it was "degloved", meaning the skin and padding was pulled back, exposing the bone and achilles tendon).  They cleaned it up and put a wound vac on it. 

I had another surgery this morning to clean up and look at my heel some more.  They removed the deep wound vac from my heel, reattached everything, and put another wound vac on (this time just under the surface).  They had to add 2 screws to my ankle, even though it's not broken, the tendons are pretty messed up and need some help.  I am also wearing a soft cast/splint to keep it stable.

I will be here another couple of days, and may go to rehab for a few days before going home.  It all depends on how things go in physical therapy tomorrow.  I am not looking forward to the PT, since I know it's going to hurt....bad.  But, I'll do what needs to be done.  I'm having to learn to be still and let others take care of me.  It's usually the other way around, so that aspect is very hard. 

I have also been reminded of how many wonderful people God has surrounded me with.  So many prayers are being lifted up, offers of help around the house and with the boys, offers to wash E's cloth diapers, meals are even being made and taken to my house (where my mom is staying with the kids).

Things could have been much worse.  We were both wearing helmets and leather jackets, which saved us from far worse injuries.  However, this could have been prevented if the young driver of the car had paid a little more attention to the road signs, and to those around her.  This is something I'm sure she will never forget, and will have to live with the rest of her life.  I do forgive her, and hope that she is one day able to move past this accident.

As the weather turns nicer, please PAY ATTENTION TO THOSE AROUND YOU!!  Especially motorcycles.  More and more bikers will be out as the weather warms up.  Even with all of the safety gear, you are far more protected in your car than they are on their bike.  So what would have been a minor accident in a car, was a major trama on a motorcycle.  I can not even think about what would have happened had we not been wearing helmets.  Especially after learnimg my head crushed her windshield.

Thank you for the continued support and prayers!  We are definitely feeling God's love and healing powers.  I will try to keep you updated as I'm able to. 


  1. Oh wow! I'm so sorry this happened but I am glad you are both alive and relatively okay. My brother is a big motorcycle rider and I am always very cautious around them because I hate to think of people being unaware around my 'little' brother! I am wishing you a speedy recovery.

  2. Get Well soon! That is so scary. My baby brother was in a bad dirt bike accident as a teen w/o a helmet, he survived but has some memory loss to this day. Glad you were wearing helmets, so important. I am glad to hear you are both doing okay. Smile Always

  3. My husband rides a motorcycle and he has had quite a few close calls like this. People just get so caught up in their own little world that they forget that they are sharing the road with others. I'm glad you guys are going to be able to recover from your injuries and I'm so glad it wasn't worse. We'll miss you on Saturday!

  4. I love you Brenda and Ryan...will continue to keep you lifted up! If He can bring you to it...He can bring you through it!